Our roofers have extensive experience in residential roofing, including new roof construction, roof replacements (re-roofing) and roof re-covers. Portland Quality Roofing also provides additional services such as gutter and skylight installation as well as roof and attic ventilation.
New construction roofing includes the installation of new underlayment, flashings, venting products and shingles.
Roof replacement involves a complete removal and disposal of current roof materials. It allows for proper deck inspection and repair if needed. We recommend replacement in every case.
Roof re-covering is an alternative to replacement if there is only one layer installed and there is no moisture under the current roofing system. We don’t recommend it; for more information see our article Can I add a second layer of shingles to my roof?
Signs that you may need a new roof:
- Damaged or missing shingles: Damaged or missing shingles indicate a worn-out roof. When shingles start to curl or crack, they cannot protect your roof properly.
- Granule loss: Look for shingles with major granule loss, also look for granules on your gutters and downspouts.
- Age of your roof: When purchasing a house try to find out the age of the roof and keep that in mind. Typically, a shingle or composition roof lasts anywhere from 20 to 25yrs depending on several factors, such as climate, weather conditions, surroundings, maintenance, etc.
- Neighbors replacing their roofs: if you are not sure about the age of your roof, seeing your neighbors re-roofing their houses might be a good indication that yours will need to be re-roofed soon.
- Check your roof flashings: Many times, roof flashings and vents don’t last as long as shingles, keep an eye for things that look out of place or cracks on plastic vents and pipe boots. A bad flashing or a cracked vent can lead to bigger problems if not repaired right away.
Why is a good roof so important?
Here are three reasons why you should make sure your roof is in good shape. A good roof will…
Protect your house
Your roof serves as a barrier against the elements. If your roof is in poor shape, your home can get water leaks, develop mold in the roof deck and structure, and experience other issues. Even a small leak in the roof can cause larger problems across your home.
Increase the value of your home
If your roof is full of moss and algae, is missing shingles, or flashings are defective, it sends the message that your home hasn’t been properly maintained. If the roof is in good shape, a potential buyer will assume the rest of the house has been tended with care. That will result in higher prices when you sell your home.
Increase energy efficiency
When you have a good roofing system, proper attic ventilation and insulation, your home will experience fewer air leaks. As a result, you will see lower heating and cooling bills during the summer and winter months. If you care about comfort in your home and want to save money, then a good roof is a must.
For many people, their home is their most important investment, for that reason, it pays in both value and security to have a roof that offers proper protection. Portland Quality Roofing can help you determine if you still have a sound roof with many years of life still on it, or if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
Call for a FREE Quote
Find out more about roofing
- Does my roof need to be replaced?
- Should I repair or replace my roof?
- How important is having a good roof?
- Can I re-roof my house on my own?
- Can I add a second layer of shingles to my roof?
- How much does a new roof cost?
- How much value does a new roof bring to your home?
- What is the process for re-roofing my house?
- What are the main components of a roofing system?
- The importance of having a good roof deck
- Why is the roof underlayment so important?
- How important are roof flashings and what are the different types?
- Why is attic ventilation essential for a good roofing system?
- What types of roofing materials are available and what are the pros and cons of each?
- What are the top shingle manufacturers?
- How important is the warranty of workmanship and materials?
- How long does a new roof last?
- How to maximize the life of your roof?