1. Does my roof need to be replaced?
Most of the time, homeowners find out their roof needs attention the hard way: when they see a leak or evidence of water damage on the ceiling. The problem with that is by the time you see signs of leaks inside your home, major issues with the attic, insulation, roof deck and other roof components have already occurred. How can you prevent this from happening? Are there any signs, other than leaks, that can point out that your roof needs to be repaired or replaced? Yes, look for the following characteristics on your roof regularly:
- Damaged or missing shingles: Damaged or missing shingles indicate a worn-out roof. When shingles start to curl or crack, they cannot protect your roof properly.
- Granule loss: look for shingles with major granule loss, also look for granules on your gutters and downspouts.
- Age of your roof: when purchasing a house try to find out the age of the roof and keep that in mind. Typically, a shingle or composition roof lasts anywhere from 20 to 25yrs depending on several factors, such as climate, weather conditions, surroundings, maintenance, etc. For more details see our Article: How long does a new roof last?
- Neighbors replacing their roofs: if you are not sure about the age of your roof, seeing your neighbors re-roofing their houses might be a good indication that yours will need to be re-roofed soon.
- Check your roof flashings: Many times, roof flashings and vents don’t last as long as shingles, keep an eye for things that look out of place or cracks on plastic vents and pipe boots. A bad flashing or a cracked vent can lead to bigger problems if not repaired right away.
If you see any of the signs listed above, contact a roofing contractor right away. Most roofing companies provide free estimates and will give you a more detailed evaluation of the condition of your roof. After your roof reaches certain age, it is a good idea to have a professional look at it at least once a year and replace it before any leaks or major issues occur. Contact us for a free, no obligation roof estimate.
Does my roof need to be replaced? | Should I repair or replace my roof? | How important is having a good roof? | Can I re-roof my house on my own? | Can I add a second layer of shingles to my roof? | How much does a new roof cost? | How much value does a new roof bring to your home? | What is the process for re-roofing my house? | What are the main components of a roofing system? | The importance of having a good roof deck & Do I need to install plywood over shiplap / tongue & groove decking? | Why is the roof underlayment so important? | How important are roof flashings and what are the different types? | Why is attic ventilation essential for a good roofing system? | What types of roofing materials are available and what are the pros and cons of each? | What are the top shingle manufacturers? | How important is the warranty of workmanship and materials? | How long does a new roof last? | How to maximize the life of your roof?